Friday, January 27, 2012

Winter yummys.


This week has been really cold and wet, don't get me wrong i'd rather have rain then snow (hehe) anyways I was thinking what would be the best recipe that represents winter food in Japan.  Although there are regional favorites in each area of Japan, I grew up in Okinawa but had this yummy dish in Tokyo area and what I came up with is Oden.
If you are familiar with Japanese drama or Anime, you have probably seen a scene of salarymen eating Oden and drinking sake at a food stand at night with their coworkers.  It has been known as a food stall dish during the night time for relaxing after a day of working.  Fortunately this dish can also be enjoyed at home and you can get them at stores Like 7-Eleven, or your local market, well I can get them in Cali cause we have a 7-eleven not sure if we have one here but anyways anyplace that have verity of foods..etc.
I am not sure what’s the right translation for this recipe but Oden is a one pot dish, which is a little bit different from stew or hot pot.  It’s more like simmered dish: assorted fish balls, fish cakes, atsuage (deep fried tofu), hard-boiled eggs, konnyaku and some vegetables are simmered in soy sauce based broth.  I usually make Oden a day before so that all the ingredients will absorb good Oden broth and it tastes much better the following day.  At my place I usually serve with Onigiri (rice ball).  The color seems boring because of mainly brown color, but the flavor is amazing and exquisite.  To me its a great winter comfort dish. Whats your favorite winter dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment